From:
Colin Swabey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Mar 1998 23:52:17 +1300
>I've noticed in the last few days my computer has a multiple
>freezure attack every 10 minutes or so. It's always the same
>pattern: freezes up 4 times, each time for a second, with 2
>seconds normal continuation between each freeze.

I've seen a few very helpful replies to this query over the last few days,
but I think most are missing the underlaying problem and although they are a
good place to start, I don't believe power supply or cpu fan problems are
the cause.

I have had these same symptoms happen to me and have been associated with
one other instance. In my own case it was caused by a one of the installed
network protocols not having an available client driver eg: IPX/SPX and no
Netware driver. This resulted in the protocol spending time looking for a
host (and not finding one). Go to Control Panel, Networks and check that you
only have those network components that you actually need and delete all
others

In the other case it was caused by a remote network printer being out of
paper (an HP4 laser) and the client using an HPII printer driver, rather
than the more intelligent HP4 driver. Once the printer was loaded with paper
and the correct driver was installed everything came right again.