From:
Chris Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Feb 2006 06:08:12 -0500

DDR and DDR2 memory does not NEED to be purchased/installed in matched
pairs, but you will lose the ability to operate in a 'dual-channel' mode.
This is where the performance of the data rate depends on whether or not the
memory timings and speed are 'matched' with one another. You can get one
more 512Mb stick to use in your system. Whether or not the memory performs
at its potential in a great part has to do with it matching the existing
module. SiSoft Sandra, PCWizard or some other hardware diagnostic tool will
give you information regarding the memory frequency and timings as well as
the manufacturer. You can use this information to make an informed decision.
By the way, even memory modules purchased at different times and
manufacturers can still run in Dual-Channel mode. Using cpu-z (v 1.31) which
identifies chipset, processor and memory, a pair of 512Mb sticks of DDR
memory paired with existing 128Mb sticks all ran in dual-channel mode in my
fathers Dell 4600. (PC3200) Make sure that you install the additional memory
module into the right slot (bank) or the PC will not boot. HTH.

Chris Ryan
E-Mail:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com