From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 21:33:45 -0800
I haven't had any problems like this With 2000 PRO or Server and i suspect
that the OS doesn't like something in your hardware.
I suspect it is  like NT4 in this regard.... if it likes your stuff then
it's great and if it doesn't then it is one battle after another. I have
been lucky...no battles like this yet.

What I have noticed about Win2K is that like NT when it first came out the
more hardware you throw at it the better it runs. Server has many more
tools then Workstation does. Drivers for old devices are a problem. I can't
get drivers for my SCSI scanner either and UMAX says they aren't going to
write them. You probably noticed that where as you can install NTWKS into
as little as a 75 meg directory ( I have done this) Win2K takes a least 500
meg.

People keep telling me they run games in Win2K just fine but I have had one
problem after another so now I boot into 98 if I want to play a game. Maybe
it is my Diamond TNT2 Ultra which doesn't have great driver support.

With all your problems I would suspect something more fundamental ...on the
motherboard or video card. Maybe a patch or a driver. I kept having
problems shutting down after I installed a Matrox G 200 in my Win2K Server.
Then I discovered I had to install a special VIA patch....problems went away.

Mark Rode
The NOSPIN Group