From:
Roxanne Pierce <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jun 1998 19:55:51 -0700
It is true that most of the BIOS currently in operation cannot properly use a
drive above 8.4GB. Partitions, though, have nothing to do with the problem, and
many system BIOS can be upgraded.  For further information on BIOS limitations
and on partition limitations, see the Maxtor FAQ at:

http://www.maxtor.com/technology/q&a/qa610017.html

As for disk overlay software, such as Max-Blast or EZ Drive or any of their ilk:
If there ever comes a time when the owner of a drive that has disk overlay
software on it wishes to get data off that drive (either because of upgrading,
or because the drive is deteriorating), the disk overlay software can SERIOUSLY
hamper the ability to do this.

Let me put this more simply: Disk overlay software is a gigantic pain in the
neck to computer technicians the world over.  I, personally, have come to
consider it quite evil.

If your system BIOS cannot be upgraded to handle the new, large hard drive you
wish to install, and you can afford another $50 or so, you are MUCH better off
getting a special I/O controller with its very own BIOS that can handle that
drive instead of using disk overlay software.

Promise Technologies makes a number of I/O controllers that are specifically
designed to support large hard drives when your system BIOS cannot.  Take a look
at their products line at

http://www.promise.com/

Roxanne Pierce
R2 Systems, San Diego