From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Mar 1998 10:32:46 -0700
At 09:22 PM 3/19/98 -0500, Rick wrote:

>I've checked the manual for the MOBO (a Biostar with an Award BIOS {I know-
>an inexpensive MOBO}), and I see in the CMOS setup that the secondary can
>be enabled, and I think that it indicates that it will be set IRQ 15, but
>I'm not entirely sure on this one. Anybody know?

There is nothing wrong with a Biostar motherboard, they are good boards.
All you should need to do is enable the secondary channel in your CMOS
and add the ribbon cable to the CD Rom.  You may want to change the
jumper on the CD Rom to Master for this channel...  though it probably
does not matter.

>The next question: if I manage to enable the port and get the IRQ set
>correctly, do I need to remove the current CD-ROM from Win95 and let it
>(hopefully) be redetected in the right location on bootup?

Actually, Win95 should recognize the added IDE channel and resetup
the drive to the appropriate place.  If this does not happen, then you
will need to remove the drive, but Win95 is fairly good about this issue.

>A last question on another subject- opening and then closing certain
>windows tends to leave little flyspecks on the desktop. The worst offender
>is the box that pops up when you right click anywhere on the desktop. Close
>that, and it leaves these three little specks behind. You get the same
>effect any number of times by opening and closing that box. Opening other
>windows over those spots removes them when the window is closed. I assume
>that this has something to do with the video card (Diamond Stealth 3D 2000
>w/4meg) or the way the processor handles the video (AMD K-6 233mhz). This
>is mostly an annoyance, but any suggestions would be appreciated.

I would try lowering the refresh rate or the resolution on the video driver.
You might also want to check to see if you have the latest version of the
driver for your video card.  Another idea is to make sure the proper monitor
has been setup in the video display area of Win95.

This sounds much like you are pressing your video driver to the extreme of it's
settings...

   Bob