From:
Tom Billiodeaux <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 May 2001 07:08:52 -0500
I cloned my W2k system partition F:(2.25Gb)NTFS using Drive Image 4.0.
and Norton Ghost 6.5 each failing to allow login.
I restored the cloned image to an existing partition D: (DI first deletes
and then recreates and formats to the same as the image file source, NG
reformats without resizing and restores).
After the successful restore using either, I can boot up into W2k, but
cannot login.  None of the 3 W2k users can login.  W2k accepts the password,
but immediately brings you back to the login menu.

I have performed this successfully with FAT32 formatting after performing
Fdisk /mbr to compensate for partition sizing). Initially I could login to
the existing F: W2k, as it was not effected.  But after several reboots, I
now the same is occuring with the source partition.????
Which is suggesting that I need to reinstall, even though I have a complete
clone that boots up.
Powerquest says that it is a Microsoft issue.  Microsoft will not give
Powerquest enough information to correct the problem because it is a
security issue with W2k, NTFS.  MS says this is a know issue and it is with
the Swap file, but offers no solution.
I deleted the swap file and rebooted, but no change. W2k only recreates the
same Swap file.

Any suggestions?
At this point, I don't know how to clone a W2K o/s partition and restore it
(NTFS).  FAT32 I have no problem.  My only know solution is to install FAT32
and convert to NTFS.