From:
"Kurr, Martin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jun 1999 08:03:47 -0500
There is a jumper for DIMM slot frequency.  Set this in accordance with the
mobo manual (sounds like you did).
Go to setup (when you boot press DEL key) and change memory settings to more
aggressive levels:
-Try 4-bank interleave (2 if 4 is unstable, or off if 2 fails)
-fastest timing settings (turbo, no delays, etc.)
-to decipher mobo manual, set all memory-related items to "better" level by
looking for key words such as "for system performance", et. al.  The broken
English is rough, but if you write down current settings you can always go
back if there's a failure.  Make sure you shadow and cache as much as runs
stable (Video & System BIOS in particular).  Also, check your video card
texture memory setting...you may have more memory tied into textures if the
video driver automatically allocates based on fraction of total available
system memory.
FYI, if you have mixed PC100 & non-PC100 DIMM on the board, you saved
yourself nothing...the mobo will actually run slower and PC100
jumpers/settings will not be stable on this motherboard (best in that case
to sell non-PC100 stick and replace with new).
As for the 95 FSB, one would not expect this to slow things down going SIMM
to DIMM.
Martin Kurr
email [log in to unmask]
> From:         Eric Greenberg[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]
> Subject:      [PCBUILD] PC100?
> Just picked up my first stick of PC100 memory.  Installed just fine, but
> my
> system actually seems SLOWER.  I have run the benchmark included with
> Norton Utilities and it dropped a full 10 pts. from 147.7 to 137.7.  Did I
> possibly do something wrong here?
> System:
> FIC 503+ SS7 Mobo (rev. A2)
> AMD K6-2 333 CPU
> 128MB PC100 Micron SDRAM in bank 0 - removed 96MB EDO SIMMS and ONLY have
> SDRAM installed.
> Running one partition Windows 98 Second Edition and one Windows 2000 beta
> 3
> (build 2031)
> Diamond Monster Fusion 16MB AGP video card.
> All jumpers seem to be set right according to updated FIC manual.
> The thing I am wondering is because I have my FSB set to 95Mhz x 3.5 for
> the 333 chip, am I holding back the memory?  Also, can anyone possibly
> explain (in more understandable terms) the BIOS settings for the SDRAM?  I
> have everything there to BIOS default, but should I start tweaking a bit?
> Any help appreciated.
> TIA

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org