From:
Max Timchenko <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 00:18:39 +0200
Hello Yui and others, thanks for responding to my post;
the problem is not yet solved hence the follow-up.

A few days ago, I wrote:

> [...]

And was replied with:
YS> Hi, I just had a similar issue this morning involving a
YS> STB display adapter and a 3Com NIC. They were
YS> both sharing IRQ 11 and did not allow maual configuring
YS> of the settings in Device Manager. These cards also lacked
YS> jumpers for on-board settings.

YS> My fix was as follows:
YS>      1.) I disabled(not removed) the STB in device manager,
YS>           ( by disabling your device you can still save the settings.)
YS>      2.) I removed the 3Com from device manager to be
YS>           redetected.
YS>      3.) After rebooting, I enabled plug & play in BIOS
YS>           and reserved IRQ11 to get Windows to place
YS>           the 3Com elsewhere.
YS>      4.)Plug and Play placed the 3Com on IRQ10
YS>      5.)I re-enabled the STB on its current settings
YS>          which was IRQ11
YS>      6.)One more reboot completed it.

That did not work. Here are more details:

* Modem is a DynaMode, Rockwell-based 56k WinModem, sitting in PCI slot 3
* Sound is a Creative Live! Value sitting in PCI slot 5
* all of this is on some not-widely-known 440bx-based mobo, with
      * Pentium-II 450 and
      * 64M of RAM;
* the video is VooDoo 3000 AGP, if that's of any help.

When we tried to do the steps you described, [disable the sb, kill the
modem, close IRQ12, reinstall the modem] it jumped on IRQ5. No dice :
irq5 is a standard SoundBlaster 16 setting. Didn't try to change it to
7, but I'd like to see a better solution : I really don't want to
fiddle with a few dozen of his old games tweaking the sound settings
[although it might eventually boil down to that].

The next step: blocked IRQ5 as well. All is great : modem IRQ 10, SB
IRQ 12. On next reboot, both are on IRQ 10. Of course, no DOS sound.

Try 3: Removed the "Isa Legacy" blocks, tried again - both back on 12.

Try 4: Disabled USB interrupt in BIOS [he doesn't have any USB
devices] - both jumped to 9...

Why can't I manually assign IRQ's?!?     :-(

att. Mary Wolden : the SB Legacy driver settings are OK : port 220/
dma low 1/irq 5/dma high 5, midi 330 and adlib on 388.

The next steps I can try:
1) to change the card to different slot...  and I don't want
   the friend to get into the PC if possible...
2) Try and squeeze the SB16 emulation to non-standard settings, for
   example to IRQ7 [if free]. Many games won't take anything other
   than 5 or 7.

If you have are any other ideas, please share them -

+=-.
| Max Timchenko [MaxVT]
| [log in to unmask], [log in to unmask]
| FAX (413)431-4014               ICQ 2386792
|
| Freelance website and graphics designer
| Visit my site : http://maxwd.hypermart.net
|
| Editor - Graphics artist
| NOSPIN group