From:
Conor McNessa <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Sep 2000 19:31:47 +0100
I'm having an awful problem. I use this Outlook email for maillists, but use
Eudora for business - which has worked successfully for some years now.

I'm afraid this is a longish story, but think it's one that I have to tell
as it happened, so that people who might be able to help can understand how
the problem happened, and thus how they might help.

I decided recently that I really should back up my business files, in other
words my Word and Excel documents and my Eudora mailboxes. So I bought a
friend's external SCSI Zip 100 drive.

I had Iomega software on the computer; what I did not have was the Iomega
backup program.

So I got my Windows 98 CD-ROM (I'm using Win98 on a Pentium III machine,
with two hard drives, 10GB and 2GB, plus 128MB of SDRAM memory, a SCSI card,
a CDRW and the various other bits and pieces usual to computers: soundcard,
video card, ordinary enough monitor and mouse and keyboard, and an external
Hayes Accura modem) and went looking for Iomega 1-Step Backup. The Win98 CD
automatically opened up Add/Remove Programs, and I obeyed it and went ahead,
thinking that it would add the missing parts to Iomega's software. It
didn't - it just removed the software.

So I got the floppy my friend had given me with the Zip 100 and asked it to
install the Iomega software. It asked for a Tools Disk, which I didn't
have - in fact, if my friend had ever had one, she would have used it in her
Mac and wiped it anyway. So I just went ahead, thinking that this was one of
those little vagaries that software shows occasionally. It seemed to go OK
anyway; went ahead, told me to remove the floppy that it was going to
restart.

It restarted, started up the Setup program for Iomega again, but kept
looking for the a: drive, so I put the floppy back in. After a while it said
that the program could not be installed, and exited.

I went looking for Iomega software, and found only a couple of stray bits
and pieces that the uninstall must have missed.

Then I went to open Eudora - and my vital business email boxes. Eudora
opened, but it asked me to set up a new account. I exited hastily and
searched for files ending .mbx. All gone. The only ones left were the ones
from Outlook and Eudora's standard In, Out and Trash boxes, all empty.

I looked in the Recycle Bin, but Eudora's mailboxes, settings and filters
were not there.

Other than that, the disaster has also nuked mIRC, which I use for asking
for technical help, and for some reason I can no longer hear sound on my
computer. Doc Watson may at this moment be warbling "I was born in East
Virginia" but not a sound is coming out.

Word, thank goodness, is all right, and the few documents I've checked are
still there. I don't know whether Norton Anti-Virus, Conseal or any of the
million-and-one other programs I'm using are safe.

Is there any undelete program that will bring back my Eudora mailboxes,
filters and settings? I downloaded something called Emergency, but it turns
out to be for NT only - and it won't let me trash its .exe file. I've now
downloaded something else called Recover4all.

Any help would be very greatly appreciated.