From:
Jack R Payton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 00:17:59 -0400
Some of the PCBUILD experts can explain it better, but setting up USB
peripherals and drivers works just the opposite from regular
stuff/drivers. If  - IF - your computers USB system (two levels) is
working properly, you typically connect the peripheral, then install the
USB driver, rather than vice versa. Ergo, if you're trying to install
drivers in the normal way, that won't work. Ensure that you follow the
equip docs instructions exactly!
Jack

On Sun, 24 Jun 2001 21:14:12 -0400 Emie DelRosario <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
> I am new to PCBUILD.  I am trying to help a friend rebuild his system
> after a virus wiped out his Windows mainfiles. I reformatted his 20
> gig HD, did FDISK, clean-install his Win98 s/e and configured his
> components.  During this process, I ran into a problem with his USB
> HP Deskjet 612C printer.  Although Windows P'nP engine helped a lot
> (installing monitor, modem, scanner, etc.) but it does not recognize
> the USB printer. I could not seem to access his USB port to install
> the printer.  I have checked the BIOS and verified that the BIOS
> ports are enabled.  Also verified the System's Device Driver and it
> showed: USB Root Hub and a PCI to USB Universal Host controller.
>
> With the HP DJ Driver CD in the drive, I attempted to load the
> printer for the XX number of times through
> Start/Setting/Printers/Add Printer.  The set-up program though would
> only give me the LPT and COM ports for configuration.  I am
> obviously not doing it right and the HP website is of no help at
> all.  I would greatly appreciate any help from anyone.  TIA.
>
> Info:  Generic AMD 750mhz, 128 mb ram, 16 mb video ram, 40x CD, HP
> scanner, 56k modem and USB HP 612C DeskJet printer.
>
> Emie DelRosario

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com