From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jul 2002 08:06:25 -0600
At 11:17 PM 7/1/2002, Yakymakha L. Olexandr wrote:
>Hello Gary,
>
>Monday, July 01, 2002, 11:04:56 PM, you wrote:
>
>GR> I had submitted this to the Computer Lady and she suggested I contact your site.
>GR> When booting up I get a rectangular box with, Setup.ins in the blue header and In
>GR> the box below it says, "Cannot find the file 'setup.ins' (or one or more of its components).
>GR> Make sure path and file name are correct and all required libraries are available.
>
>GR> When I close that box the next box says,  Desktop in the blue header and inside the
>GR> rectangular box,  cannot load or run setup.ins specified in the WIN.INI file".
>GR> Make sure the file exists on your computer or remove the reference to it in the
>GR> WIN.INI file.  After closing both boxes my computer boots up OK and seems to work OK.
>GR> These boxes come up every time I boot up.
>
>GR> I cannot load  programs now.  Trying to load one program and it won't load at all.
>GR> Tried loading another program and it did load and I see it in add remove programs
>GR> but when I try and run it my screen goes black and I have to control, alt delete to
>GR> shut down.   Should I put in the WIN 98SE disk back in and re-run Windows, if so how do
>GR> I proceed after loading the disk.  Do I use the boot disk I created when I first
>GR> loaded Windows?
>GR> Thanks for any help you can provide.
>
>GR> Gary Rood
>
>Try to find "C:\Windows\win.ini" file and delete the row with the
>"Setup.ins" file. It could be in the [embedding] part.
>Note that to do any changes in the *.ini files   you should to copy
>them beforehand!

Yakymakha is right in that Windows98 does not require the file
SETUP.INS to function.  To help you easily resolve this issue,
click on Start | Run and type SYSEDIT in the box, press the OK
button.   Now choose the windows for WIN.INI and then use the
Search button on the toolbar to find "Setup.ins."   Once you have
located the line containing this file, place a semi-colon, ( ; ), at
the beginning of that line.  This will tell windows not to read this
line or use it.   Save and close SYSEDIT, then reboot your system.

    Bob Wright
The NoSpin Group
http://freepctech.com

.