From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jan 2006 05:45:27 -0500
At 00:45 01/18/06, Venkat Viswanathan wrote:
>...the siren sound IS coming from the hdd. In fact the chassis speaker
>is disconnected but I get the "beep" sound during post from the hdd...
>I too have an asus mobo...

Many Asus motherboards (the brand that I'm most experienced with) have
small built in speakers. Since you hear beeps when the chassis speaker
is disconnected, I assume that your motherboard has one of these built
in speakers.

The speakers on my Asus P2B-D dual PII/PIII motherboards look like a
medium size hollow black upright rubber cylinder (maybe 3/4" high by
1/2" in diameter), not far from the CMOS battery. (It may look
different on your motherboard.) If I disconnect the chassis speaker,
POST beeps from the built in speaker are audible, much fainter than
from the main speaker, but still easy to hear. Also, newer motherboards
than mine (which are from 1999 to 2002) have alarms that sound similar
to European emergency vehicle sirens (alternating high and low tones)
indicating that one of the motherboard's built in thermal diodes has
detected a higher than allowed temperature or that an out of range DC
voltage has been detected.

Regards,
Bill

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,