From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 09:05:49 -0400
I know that a couple of other people have also mentioned Windows Defender,
besides Anthony; so, I thought that I would share that my experience with
this program has been a bit less positive.  I had been running the previous
incarnation of this program in the background for quite a number of months
with no problem (I think they simply called it MS AntiSpyware Beta); so,
when they released this latest version (now called Windows Defender) I
upgraded to it.

After having done this, I noticed while playing an online computer game
(Battlefield 2) that my computer was struggling to keep up with the action.
While this game is very hardware intensive, I had the game options set so it
was fine, before.  I went through the options for Windows Defender and
disabled the real-time protection.  Since then, I've not experienced any
more problems with my online gaming.

I know this is anecdotal and just one person's experience; so, take it with
a grain of salt.  Still, I'm a bit concerned about how MS seems to be
turning what was a nice little program into a resource hog.  I'm guessing
(really haven't looked into this) that Windows Defender will eventually be a
full blown security suite from MS, probably including Antivirus and Firewall
components, as well as anti-spyware capabilities.  Hopefully, they'll be
able to trim back its resource demands before they are done.

But, as noted, the program is currently a free download; so, try it and see
what you think for yourself.

John Sproule