From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 11:23:11 -0500
Don't know what mobo it is but lucky for you the jumper setting are marked
on the mobo.

Based on what you wrote:

1. Correct setting for a P166 MMX is 66 x2.5 not 55 x 5.5 There are many
possible reasons why it was set incorrectly. Are you sure the CPU~is~a P166
and not a re-marked slower CPU. Or was it set out of ignorance and/or an
error to that setting. Setting it correctly (assuming it will run at the
correct settings) would give you a 21% increase in CPU power.

2. You could use any 66 MHz FSB CPU with split rail voltages down to 2.8v.
These include any P-MMX and or Cyrix MII +< 333. The P-MMX are difficult to
find. My wholesaler currently only has the P233 which is a 66 x 3.5. Since
you mobo maximum multiplier is 3.0, you would have to run it as a P198 (66 x
3) which is under-clocking  it and~should~be okay but would be faster than
you current 137 setting :-(   WRT Cyrix MII, again you would have to
under-clock  them since the maximum MHz you can get is 66 x 3 +198. Since
Cyrix real world benchmarks are faster than P-MMX for equal MHz, I would
recommend going with the Cyrix which would also probably be less expensive.

3. WRT your AT case, I use Soyo 5EHM mobo which are AT boards and I feel one
of the best mobos out there WRT stability, manufacturer support, quality,
and flexibility. The 5EHM is a Super Socket 7 so you could use any of the
Cyrix MII at rated speed or any AMD K6-2 or K6-3 line of CPUs. IMO, Cyrix
and/or AMD are better performers for the money over equal Intel products any
day. Both work extremely well in the 5EHM mobo.

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast - Reliable - Wallet Friendly