Date:
Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:37:42 +1200
Thanks Jim.  Actually, I wasn't so much asking how to do it or what software to use - rather, is it possible?  Is it desirable?  Is it necessary?

I have PM8 somewhere, but it's probably easier just do it from a command line from within XP.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown
New Zealand

  From: Jim Dodd
  Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Another USB query - formatting with NTFS?

  Ian wrote:
  > I've now set up XP Pro on a new 20G x7200 hard drive.  My motherboard
  > is USB 2.0 compliant.
  >
  > I plan to keep using my previous system drive, a 40G x7200 Maxtor, in
  > a USB enclosure.  The OS on this drive was W98SE.
  >
  > Here's my query:  Is it possible or even desirable to convert the old
  > drive (in it's USB enclosure) to NTFS?
  >
  > There's some 30Gb of data on the drive, in the form of MP3's, jpg's
  > and files etc, but I plan to delete the Windows folder along with any
  > associated files.
  >
  > Ian Porter
  > Computer Guys Inc.
  > Arrowtown
  > New Zealand

  Hello Ian,

  A program called Partition Magic 8 can do an NTFS conversion from within
  Widows.
  The program may be able to do the conversion without data loss(check on
  that).
  http://www.powerquest.com/partitionmagic/

  I would do a drive backup prior to the conversion just in case.

  ---