Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2001 21:21:20 +1100
From: "Drew Dunn" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, January 10, 2001 10:06 AM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] QUESTION ABOUT CELERON VS INTEL OR AMD

> I suspect that the Celeron processor, say a 600MHz one, is probably
> sufficient for almost anything short of a system that is to be used as a
> desktop replacement.  The Celerons run reasonably cool and are less
> expensive than the Pentium IIIs.  They are also better performers than the
> AMD processors.  You'll probably find that a lot of the major vendors are
> doing almost anything they can to sell laptops in that performance range
> since they are overstocked and the market is soft.
>
> I don't know of any company that makes a laptop based on the Athlon or
> Thunderbird processors from AMD, but if there are, I'd be leery since
those
> processors run extremely hot and cooling seems like it would be a big
issue.

Just my $0.02
This rule only apply to Mobile processors, AMD makes better desktop CPU.
I've heard the mobile Duron, but there is no such Laptop powered by it yet
(at least at my part of world). I'm now very happy with my Duron CPU, I can
still get more CPU power if I overclock it more, it's the top line of CPU
when speaking of price/performance/ease of overclock. Mobil Duron should run
much cooler. AMD is working on CPU that only needs heatsink and runs cooler
than current model while providing better performance (faster clock speed).
Let's wait and see.

Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org