From:
Doug Simmons <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Dec 1999 16:07:58 -0500
I'm not sure if this is hardware or software problem.

My son running a Pentium III 400 home-built machine with a generic Ethernet
card, using Win 98 on a collegiate network.  He can get on the network and
can see other machines in network neighborhood. However he cannot query
other machines either by browser, ping or get mail.  Using winipcfg he can
see that his ethernet card has an IP address assigned but the adapter does
not have an address.  I feel that this is the root of the problem even
though I am very weak on networks.  There is an IP address and all other
network data there but not adapter address.  He has tried releasing and
renewing all with the same results.

Is the lack of adapter address the problem, and if so, how does he get one
assigned?

Doug

Doug Simmons

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: