From:
Jerry Lide <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Aug 1999 17:46:01 -0400
Steve- Although it's not commonly touted as a "feature," ATX cases, MBs, and
power supplies were designed to be a lower cost configuration (for system
builders). One of the ways this was to be accomplished was to have the power
supply's fan drawing air from the outside of the case and blowing it *in*
over the CPU heat sink, thus allowing system builders to justify not using a
CPU fan. A true ATX power supply will have its fan on the lower (in a tower
case) surface of the P/S. It is a poor design (IMHO) to have no cooling fan
on the CPU, *especially* when there's no ATX-style P/S to provide a stream
of (relatively) cool air that blows over the CPU. When I first heard of this
design (in another list group), I thought it couldn't be true! Who would
draw air from the outside that would pick up heat from the P/S, and then
dump it on the CPU heat sink! I still believe it's a bad trade-off to save
$3-5 on a system build.

Strangely, I haven't seen very many "ATX" systems which have a full ATX P/S-
they seem typically to have a P/S w/ ATX power connectors, but the P/S fan
has the fan pulling air through the P/S and exhausting it at the back of the
system- the old way. And almost all still have the CPU fan mounted on the
heat sink. Sounds like your friend's system has the worst of both worlds!

Regards,
Jerry