From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 10 Jul 1998 01:58:14 -0400
Greetings:

I am writing a grant proposal for a Program to refurbish
computers donated by corporations to Florida schools,
along the line of the Detwiler Foundation Program
(http://wwwnt.thegroup.net/detwiler/). My college will
essentially be refurbishing 486DX2-66 and faster PCs
and providing them to needy public schools in the area.

What kinds of tools and equipment (POST cards, SIMM
testers, DMMs, scopes and the like) would you recommend
we specify for testing and refurbishing 4-5 year old
"working" computers which may need to be upgraded
to multimedia, Win95 and Internet-capable computers?

We are also compelled to acquire Micro 2000 workstations
so any advice or opinions on this equipment, configuration,
and options is greatly appreciated.

Also, are there any particular technical manuals, resources
or reference materials you would recommend?

The refurbishing work will be performed by students in
the classroom environment so, of course, we are looking
for durable, "safe", simple, downward-boltable tools and
equipment.

We will need to provide a one year "warranty" on these
computers so, obviously, we want to avoid "returns". A
few extra dollars spent now on prevention saves us time
and finger-pointing later.

Thanks, in advance, for your timely assistance.

John Chin
Engineering Dept., MDCC