From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:33:18 -0500
This one has me mystified, since as far as I know the motherboard usually
only beeps during the post process, not after you are up and running
windows.  Many motherboards are capable of issuing warnings or alarms, if
you have these set in the BIOS, but these are much more attention getting
than four beeps.  Besides, you can check your hardware monitoring and see
that your temperatures, fans speeds, and voltages are in the normal range,
which it sounds like you've done.

For lack of a better solution, I find myself wondering about some program or
even a virus that might be causing the system speaker to beep periodically,
but you've already covered the malware angle.

If the beeps happen often enough, I wonder if booting up into safe mode and
letting sit, since you won't be able to do much else, might be a way to
isolate whether it is an application or indeed your motherboard that is
beeping at you.  Or, use this as an opportunity to try out one of those
versions of  linux that will boot from and run from a CD-ROM, such as
Knoppix.  If the boots follow you into this new environment, I guess we know
that it is not a windows application.

Maybe someone else can suggest something more helpful.

John Sproule