From:
Joe Lore <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Oct 2004 13:05:47 -0400
HI.

1)      Best to back up any and all data you want to save to removable
device of your choice.

2)      Make sure you have all disks to install all programs and drivers you
want to use or will need.
        a) you may have to go on web and download the latest versions of
drivers (for XP)for your devices.

3)      Purchase full install XP over upgrade XP and do a clean install.
                a) you will be given a choice to delete the old partition
and you should do so.
                b) you should chose NTFS partition over Fat 32

4)      No, you should use a 3rd party firewall, in addition to XP's

5)      you should install all xp updates up to SP2 that you can.  Install
SP2 when you are sure that
        you will be OKAY by checking web for info about potential problems.
        a) check main board makers site for latest version of BIOS to avoid
SP2 install problems.

Thanks and have a Great Day!

Joe Lore
======================================
I know this has been somewhat, at least, discussed before, since I've been
reading the posts, but I'm still not quite clear on it and am contemplating
purchasing XP and installing it.  (I have Win 98SE now.)

Is it necessary to completely erase all vestige of the old system before
installing XP?  And, if so, what is a good program for doing that?

Am I correct in my assumption that I could burn the data I wish to keep from
my old system onto a CD, then run a program to 'erase' the old system, and
then install XP from a purchased CD?  Is there anything else I would have to
do in preparation for installing XP?

Also, would the firewall that comes with XP be enough to protect me for
however long it takes to get online and download a third party firewall, and
any necessary XP updates?

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com