From:
Jamie Furtner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 1998 21:06:01 -0800
I'll take a stab at these problems, although some more info is required.

At 02:01 PM 98-11-27 -0500, you wrote:
>I am helping a friend set up his computer after too many hands have been
>didldling with it.
>
>1.  When booting the screen is blank for about 2 minutes and then the
>first screen you see is the Win98 splash screen.  You do not see any of
>the initial DOS logon screens.  I have checked the BIOS settings and do
>not see anyway to turn them on.  Nothing is on the screen unless I press
>F5 and walk it through the setup (autoexec and config files).
>
>     How do I turn on the initial screens, including the screens
>displayed be the BIOS?
First off, most(maybe all?) Aptivas don't have a start-up screen like you are
thinking of, as in a small report that tells you memory, HDs, FDs, etc. Many of
them only display an IBM logo, POST, then go straight to the OS.

This almost sounds like the LOGO.SYS file is corrupted or someone has made
it totally black. Try to open the file using Paint(even if it is not
a considered a
bitmap by Paint, it will open). If the file is missing, Win9x should
use the default
one -- my system is right now.

>2.  The modem manufacturer is unknown.  It is a Voice/fax modem.  Does
>anyone know what modem these machine used.  It is an older HP Aptiva
>with a 28.8K modem.  Using the Standard 28.8K modem sttings will not
>work.  I cannot get dial tone.
How old is it? If it is a Pentium, I'd expect it to be a MWave modem. These
modems must use the MWave drivers.

Do you perhaps know the model number? It is normally formatted as 2144-M63,
for instance.

Jamie Furtner

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com