From:
Harold Bush <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 10 Mar 2003 23:59:35 -0500
On an Utra DMA IDE Bus the bus speed will be that of the slowest device
on the bus. If you put a high performance ATA100 hard drive on the
primary with a CD Rom drive that bus will operate at the speed of the CD
ROM drive. The only performance over a DMA33 hard drive that you will
see is from the disk rotation of the ATA100 drive 5400 or 7200 rpm.

If you need all 3 ancillary drives that you mentioned I suggest another
I/O option for one of them (USB 2.0 or purchase a cheap SCSI card and
SCSI Zip drive).  If I were designing the PC you are discussing I would
eliminate the CD Drive and go with a CDRW and Zip on the secondary
channel. If you're copying cd's best performance is had by telling your
burn software to copy the cd to your hard disk first and burn from
there. Be sure that the CDRW is the Master and Zip is Slave. If you are
using an Intel motherboard you can install Intel Application Accelerator
software and gain granular control of the IDE Bus (tweak the bus
characteristics). I've used this to solve CDROM problems similar to
those I see listed here from time to time (like audio cd's not playing
on some cdrom drives under win 98 etc.)

Harold Bush
Chief Technologist
Vox 845.679.5190