From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Jun 1998 20:49:03 -0600
At 01:12 PM 6/25/98 +0900, Fukushima Akira wrote:
>Hello everybody,
>
>I want to ask two questions about Freezing.
>I have a AST notebook computer, specification are as follows;
>
>cpu 75 Mhz
>hdd 540 MB
>ram 16 MB
>os  Win95(Japanese Version)
>I have been using more than two years ago. But recently, the computer
>freeze when I working on Word Processor Program. So I updated the newest
>BIOS version, scanning the hardisk, but the problem cannot solve.
>
>And when I shut down window95, "Please wait a minute" and freeze.
>
>Can anybody help me?
>Is it Hardware problem? Or soft ware?

This is a tough one to give you a definative answer.  A lockup of
the system can be created by many factors.  Usually the first
thing to suspect is heat....  has your chip fan died or are the air
holes on the case clogged?

The next thing to consider is a conflict.  Have you added any new
devices to the system, such as an external CD drive or modem?
Have you modified any system settings?

Then the next issue can be failing components.  The ram memory
maybe going bad or anyother component in the system.  If you are
familiar with good diagnostic software, this maybe able to run a
system check on all your components.   A local computer shop
may be able to do this for you quickly and diagnose anything
dying.

Then, it can be a software issue...  though this would be my last
guess.  Try clearing out your  C:\windows\temp  directory.  Then
you can try reinstalling Windows95.  You may need to delete
your registry and do a complete ground up reinstall.

The final consideration would be a virus.  This is the long shot...  or
the least likely to occur.  Run a good virus scanning program through
the system.  You can download most of them on a trial basis,
enough to check and clean a virus.  Try:  http://www.mcafee.com

I hope this starts you down the right path...

BOB WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Listserv Owner   PCBUILD : PCSOFT : PC-MS : VPLANETS
                             PCBLDFAQ : PC-PDA : I-GAMES