Date:
Tue, 16 Jan 2001 00:10:05 +1100
From: "Steven L Gillespie" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, January 15, 2001 8:56 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] New HD and PCI Adapter Card

> I am installing a new Maxtor 40GB HD and Promise ATA/100 PCI Adapter card
in my ASUS P5A MB with an AMD k6 II 550 and 128mb of SDRAM.  Two questions:

> This motherboard only supports ATA33 with the onboard controller.  I would
like to leave the old 2GB HD installed on the MB controller (for back up)
and move the OS (Windoews ME) to the new faster HD.  I also have an internal
Zip 100 and DVD drive on this controller.

> Is it possible to install the card and HD and designate the new hard drive
as the C (boot) drive while still maintaining the current configuration?
How is this done?

Sure, this what the Promise card for. BIOS will see the Promise card as a
SCSI device, set BIOS boot from SCSI defore harddisk, done!

> I would like to set up a partition for a fixed swap file on the faster HD.
How is this done?

If win98/95/ME, right click My Computer -> Properties->Performance tab, now
instead let windows manage Virtual Memory, you should specify a partition
(eg D:) and set the min size and max size to same number if you like. But
keep in mind, win9x can only address 512Mb Physical memory (it is a 32bit
protected-mode cache driver limitation, more than 512Mb physical RAM in
win9x machine will likely produce system crash, see
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/9/12.ASP?LN=EN-US&SD=g
n&FR=0&qry=512Mb%20memory&rnk=10&src=DHCS_MSPSS_gn_SRCH&SPR=W98SE). and the
Max size of virtual memory win9x can address is 2G (if my memory is right),
so don't waster space to create the swap partition larger than 2G.

Jun Qian

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml