From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Oct 2005 00:49:16 -0700
  My wife and I use dialup.  She has never had much problem with it, but for
a long time I did.  It finally got so bad that I complained to the ISP.

  They suggested that I add about three commas to the end of the phone
number.  Each translates to a wait of about two seconds, so the modem
doesn't consider itself "finished dialing and ready to hegotiate a
connection" until about 5 seconds after the last digit was sent to the phone
system.  This greatly reduces that chance that some initial quaver in the
answering tone will confuse the negotiation process into settling on an
unstable configuration.  Apparently my modem is much more subject to this
than my wife's.

  This has cut the number of line drops and other problems I've had with my
connection by perhaps as much as an order of one hundred.  Really.

David Gillett

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads