From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 18 Apr 2009 19:40:59 -0400
From: "Joe Trimarchi"
Subject: [PCBUILD] Fans not running
> Does this sound logical and if so should the fans be replaced or should I
> just wait and see what happens. I've has this machine over 7 years and don't
> really want to put any money into it but I'm also hoping to hold off buying
> a replacement until the next Windows operating system is released and I hear
> that may be fairly soon.

Fans almost never turn off by themselves. Lots run are a variable speed,
but that is on better equipment.

This is only worth doing on a limited life machine, and only if the bearings
are not scored. (It may be too late to save the fans in other words.)

If you are handy and good with your hands it is not too hard to oil
the fans. The old oil is likely dried up and sticky. When you spin it by hand
it breaks the bond and the heat of running softens the oil "just enough"...

You have to disable the power first, punch the on button once to
drain the machine, and then get to the fans physically.
This works best with sleeve bearings, but then again ball bearings seldom
have this problem.

I've oiled fans and had them run for years.
If they make ANY bearing noise while running that is a bad sign.

One side of the fan generally has a big sticker on it.
Gently pull the sticker off and keep the glue side clean and oil free.

There is a retainer ring (sometimes plastic) that holds the fans shaft from
falling out the other side. For a better job, I see if I can remove that carefully
and pull out the shaft. (Don't try too hard to remove shaft if a ball bearing model.
I clean the shaft and bearing with oil.
Oil bearing a little more, and put back together.

Depending on the condition of the bearing it might be "good enough"...

Rick Glazier

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads