From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jun 2000 08:30:42 -0600
At 12:57 PM 06/06/2000 , Rob Elsworth wrote:
>What do you folks use for diagnostic software when trying to
>troubleshoot hardware problems?

If you have looked around you have found there are lots of people
selling diagnostic software packages, from simple products to very
advanced.  We have used quite a few of them over the years and
we have reviewed a couple of them for the web site:
   http://nospin.com/pc/articles.html#Diagnostic

The good ones are fairly expensive...   the cheaper ones are not very
effective.  Products like Micro2000's Microscope is annoying due to
the copyright protection on the floppy disk.  Personally, Ram testing
is a good function for diagnostic software, but over and above that
these products often miss many small problems until they become major
issues.

I used different diagnostic software packages regularly for a long time
and finally discontinued.   I found that the software took more time to
use than just a practical sense approach to troubleshooting a PC.  There
is nothing that a diagnostic software package can do, except possibly
Ram testing, that will save the average PC technician an time.

We do have a good diagnostic software program for download on
our web site:  DIAG   453k
    http://nospin.com/pc/files001.html
Be sure to read Mark Rode's review of this program at:
    http://nospin.com/rode/rode109.html

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,