Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 03:23:36 -0500
My two year old Toshiba laptop had a broken hinge which interfered with some of the wiring to the monitor and I suppose other components; since it was still under repair warranty with Best Buy, I took it to them.  Best Buy said they don't work on laptops, sent it off to have the work done, and when it was returned, the hinge had been fixed and also the hard drive had been replaced.  The Best Buy Geek squad could give no explanation for the hard drive replacement and seemed as mystified as I was.

I took the Toshiba home, fired it up and immediately got a Registry Corruption error.  So back I go to Best Buy, and they said they would need my Recovery Disk because the computer would have to be set up again as if I had just bought it - new Norton AV, and whatever else they do when you buy a new computer and don't know how to do all those things.  I had the Recovery Disk with me in a plastic bag with other odds and ends that had come with my Toshiba and left it all with them in case they needed more than the Recovery Disk.

When I went in to pick up my laptop and was given the plastic bag, I noticed the Recovery Disk was still shrink wrapped and mentioned it to the nice man who had brought out my computer.  This surprised him, he immediately went over the paper work, commented, "I see what they did.  I'll take care of it."  He kept my Recovery Disk, and my computer is still in the shop.

What I would like to know is what would have happened if I had brought the laptop home and tried to set it up to go on line and generally use it?  Can a Registry Corruption be repaired without using the Recovery Disk?  What didn't the Best Buy Geek Squad do they should have, assuming they took some type of shortcut?

I really would appreciate any insight into this.

Thanks, many thanks, for all your help -

Anne Neighbors

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml