From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Apr 2003 19:28:38 -0700
On 24 Apr 2003, at 10:46, Karen Miller wrote:

> This may a bit off topic, but could someone tell me the benefits of
> wireless when retirees go on the road traveling across the US?

  Well, you need to be within range of a wireless access point ("base
station") that's willing to connect you to the Internet, and you need to be
able to pug into power or recharge batteries.

  Surveys tell us that lots of companies who have installed wirelwss have
left it unprotected and open for use by passers-by.  I don't know that I
would count on that remaining true.
  Starbucks offers access, at least at some of their locations.  I don't
think it's free, I don't know if it's all locations, and I don't know if
access paid for at one location is transferable for use at another.

  Several of the big phone/cell carriers have talked about providing access
nationwide.  Remember, 10-15 years ago, when cell coverage was only in a few
large cities?  I think that's about where wireless Internet is today.

David Gillett