Date:
Sun, 28 Jan 2001 22:18:04 +1100
I do agree with you that there are problems with ASUS Probe, but this small
utility software does a good job on reporting Temperature, Voltage, and fan
speed. It is normal if you notice temperature increase in very short time
after boot, this is the way it should be. Because I run my computer open
case, so that I did touch the heatsink before and after boot, the
temperature goes up really fast (or because I overclock?). There is a easy
way if you don't trust ASUS Probe: shut down the PC until it cools down, now
boot and get into BIOS, switch to hardware monitor, and leave like that for
15min. You should see how fast the temperature raises. On my PC, the
temperature rais from 35c to 48c with a minute. In fact, the only way I can
see 30c CPU temperature is to put the system into standby mode, until it
becomes cold, wake it up and read the temperature.

If you cannot make the CPU hotter (than 57c), there are few possibilities:
1) The tasks you run are not hard enough. eg, I don't get temperature
differenc by running some of my games, or play MP3, use Office software...,
but as soon as I run Q3, Specviewperf benchmark, 3Dmark 2000... the
temperature goes up (those software runs at 100% CPU usage).
2) The heatsink and fan are doing a good job that they can blow the heat
away from heatsink so fast that you don't have chance to see how hot it want
when you were playing games. There is a easy way to verify this, set ASUS
Probe to record temperature history.
3) There are something goes wrong, reinstall ASUS Probe.

Jun Qian