From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Jun 1998 20:07:48 -0600
At 07:42 AM 6/4/98 -0400, Jaime Aguirre wrote:
>Your help here is appreciated,
>I took the parts out of this computer to try them somewhere else, i
>tried to put them together again i have this messages, problems..
>
>When i try to diagnose the modem, i get couldn't open port
>when i try to use a communications program, i get another program is
>using the selected telephony device.
>
>I have yellow exclamation marks on
>Primary ide controller (dual fifo)
>Secondary ide controller (dual fifo)
>
>In device manager/computer/view resources, i see that interrupts 3,5,9
>11,12 are not used
>
>then 14: intel 82371sb pci bus master ide controller
>     14  primary ide controller (dual fifo)
>
>     15  intel 82371sb pci bus master ide controller
>     15  secondary ide controller (dual fifo)
>
>This computer is based on t2p4 asus motherboard
>32megs mem
>Intel pentium 133mhz cpu
>sound card
>USRobotics 336 modem.
>
>How do i go about getting this thing back to normal?

First thing here is to try deleting out your drivers for the IDE
bus mastering and restarting the computer.  Win95 should
autodetect the onboard controller and properly install the
drivers for the motherboard.   I have seen times when I have
had to repeat this process a couple times for Win95 to
get it right.

About the modem:  check the modem for the com port it
requests.  Then be sure that port is disabled in your CMOS
settings in the Bios.  Remove all your drivers listed under
Modems in your Control panel and drivers listed unders
Modems in your Control panel / System icon.  Then, either
restart the computer and let Win95 autodetect it or use
the "add hardware" icon in control panel.  Let the system
autodetect the modem.  Often if you just attempt to assign
the modem, the system will still try to install a second
driver, especially with USR modems.

  Hope this helps.

ß0ß WRIGHT  -   [log in to unmask]  - http://nospin.com
Owner   PCBUILD - PCSOFT - VPLANETS - PCBLDFAQ