From:
Lynn Tracy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 2004 15:18:02 -0500
On Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:22:05 -0500, Les Barnes <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I'm running XP Home and am infected by the sasser worm. I cannot boot. The computer shuts down immediately after I get a chance to enter setup. A msg appears (which I can't read) and then it reboots. I know about shutdown.exe -a and deleting avserve.exe but I can't get that far. I can't even boot to safe mode. I can boot using the setup CD-rom and recovery console. I then inserted a CD with a sasser removal tool but recovery console will not run it or copy it to the C: drive. Would a bootable CD with the removal tool help? Any ideas appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance,
>Les Barnes
>
>            Do you want to signoff PCBUILD or just change to
>                    Diges
t mode - visit our web site:
>                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml

How to scan & remove Windows viruses through Knoppix Linux:

http://networking.earthweb.com/netsecur/article.php/10952_3389801_2

This tutorial really explains the process quite nicely & should fit on one printed page to follow along.

Knoppix Linux is a "live CD"- meaning it runs within your system RAM memory from the CD.  It does not load to your hard drive unless you choose for it to do so.

http://www.knoppix.net/get.php

The Purdue & University of Illinois mirrors worked best when I last checked.

Look for the one that says: KNOPPIX_V3.4-2004-05-10-EN.iso- or similar.  This will fit on a 700mb. CD blank.  Hopefully, you have access to a broadband connection/CD burner for this part.  I use Nero & tell it to "burn image".

You will need to go into your PC BIOS to change
 the order of where your PC looks for an operating system.  Most are set to look at the hard drive first- change this to CD first, then the hard drive.  You can change it back whenever you want.

Most PC's present the BIOS screen by tapping the "del" key immediately as you push the power button- until the screen comes up.  Some other PC's use F2- consult your manual.  There are onscreen instructions for your BIOS- you will use the arrows, esc, & enter keys as well as some of the "F" keys- a mouse does not work in the BIOS.

Reboot the PC with the Knoppix CD & follow this excellent article.

I wish you luck that it's able to remove your virus,

Lynn Tracy

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com