From:
Jim Meagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Jun 1999 08:21:45 -0400
Not to dispute your findings, but a P-III uses a slot 1 motherboard while
a K6 uses a super 7 motherboard.  So your statement/assumption that the
machines are "Identical except that...." is in error.  The "except that"
means there are significant differences in the two types of machines.

Since the Pentium machine IS a different from the AMD machines, are you
sure it has the same hard drive brand AND model?  The access and
read/write times of different brands (and even models within a brand)
would significantly skew your findings.

The point is, just because the outside of the box looks the same, the
insides can be significantly different.  I teach classes in three
different computer labs at our college.  There are 18 Gateway computers in
each room.  All 54 computers were purchased at the exact same time.  All
54 computers arrived in a single shipment (now THAT was a minor miracle in
itself!).  All 54 computers are the same "model".  They all have the exact
same software installed.

Presumably, all 54 computers came down the Gateway assembly line at the
same time....But they not only act differently, they ARE different -- on
the inside.  There are three different video cards, four different hard
drives, and two different motherboard revisions.  Last fall the IS
department had a whale of a time trying to get all 18 "identical" PCs to
function and act the same within any given classroom.

Jim Meagher
=====
Micro Solutions Consulting        Member of The HTML Writers Guild
http://www.ezy.net/~microsol     International Webmasters Association
410-543-8996                MS Site Builder Network - Level 2 member
=====