From:
"Joel M. Blackman" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 07:33:09 -0700
If you can put in mobo you can install a hard drive. The question I would
ask is what is she going to use this computer for? If only e-mail, surfing
the Internet, and word processing, it would be very cheap to buy her a low
cost system that comes with what she needs, tech support, and a warranty.
You could also build one since the software installation would be minimal
and she'd only need a printer.

If it were my mother I'd get her a minimalist complete system so she would
have tech support without having to find and call me all the time.  I've
bought a couple things from companies listed on Pricewatch.  Most companies
have return policies, but they are so onerous it can be virtually your
life's work trying to return something.  You need to avoid companies like
this one: www.atacom.com.  They charge a 15% fee for returning something
that is defective, and they charge you $19.95 an hour to test it to make
sure it is defective.  It has cost me $63 so far to buy a dead on arrival
mobo from them. I got stuck with $29 s & H, $24 for the 15% ding, and
another $10 to ship it back. As of yet I don't know how much of the $19.95
an hour they will try to stick me with.  Problem with them is that they will
not accept any package without the "return merchandise authorization" (RMA)
number on the outside of the box, and they won't give you an RMA unless you
download their RMA request form, fill it out, sign it, and fax it to them on
your dime.  Where you sign it the form says "I have read and agree with the
above policies".  Read the return policies before you buy.  That dead mobo
may wind up costing me as much as a new working one. I went to my local Best
Buy to get the mobo to replace that one. Unless you have a good local
discount parts store that has decent return policies, I'd suggest buying a
complete system that meets her needs.

Hi folks,
 I am going to replace my mothers old 486 system but I can't decide between
a barebones ASUS a7v133 and new monitor or simply get a complete system. I
have done the 'replace mobo' on my system but I'm no tech and I'm a bit
scared about getting into installing the hard drive and unsure of what might
come up. Any experience or guidance would be appreciated. Also any advice on
online buying experiance. The 'pricewatch' thing seems to offer lowest bid
but also lowest quality with no return or service. Kind of like take it and
shut up even if it doesn't work. Has it worked for you?

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml