Date:
Wed, 17 Dec 2014 11:28:27 -0700
  I was probably infested by a broken Microsoft update, as reported in

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2859267/operating-systems/windows-7-hit-by-rash-of-bogus-not-genuine-reports-validation-code-0x8004fe21.html

  It appears that I probably also got the corrective update, so no
lasting harm done.

David Gillett