From:
"Paul A. Shippert" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Feb 2008 18:08:15 +0000
Greetings--

This may be a bit "off the wall", but it may work, depending on your router's features. Does your router allow you to clone a MAC address? If so, will it allow you to CHOOSE which MAC address to clone? If you can see all of your computers in one or another of your router's configuration screens (DHCP client list?), is it possible to have the router clone the MAC address of the "French speaking" computer and enable communication by that expedient? (Or is it possible that such cloning was already done, and the router now considers the cloned MAC a conflict?) .....just a few possibilities. I had a D-Link router, and it didn't last very long, nor did one at a person's house, where I did some network troubleshooting.

Paul A. Shippert
-----------------------------------
and I'm hovering like a fly
waiting for the windshield on the
freeway." Genesis
-----------------------------------

From: "Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
> Thanks for your suggestions.
>
> I tried turning off the router and ipV6 (it didn't exactly turn off -
> there were no checks - but went into a diminished state of operation;
> did I miss something?)  It didn't help.
>
> As I noted in another post, it seems as if my modem speaks English and
> French, my computer speaks French, and my router speaks English.  The
> computer seems to recognize the presence of an "unidentified network,"
> but does not communicate with it.
>
> I tried using a PCI Ethernet card which I have used in the past, but I
> had the same problem.  Recognized an unidentified network, but would not
> talk.
>
> Dean

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>