From:
Brian Franck <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 1998 12:14:50 -0500
I am not sure what "eternal sleep mode" means but I think the same thing
happened
to my Dad once.  We just installed some RAM into his computer and then
turned the computer on.  You could hear the fan, power supply, and the
hard drive turn on.  But that was it.  No picture on the monitor, no
lights or beeps. After going through many steps including taking out the
RAM we just added and calling DELL tech support.  We found out the
motherboard went bad.  DELL wanted $400 for a new motherboard since it was
out of warranty.  We ended up buying a $70 motherboard at a computer show
and putting that in the computer.  It was not that easy though.  DELL had
so many propietary parts we had to replace a bunch of other things also.
In the end though the computer worked fine.
This could be the problem with your computer. (Bad motherboard) And
knowing Compaq, they put all the components on the main board.  So I hope
that is not the problem. If it is you would have to get a new case and
motherboard and any components that were on the previous motherboard. You
can keep your existing HD, floppy, RAM, CD-ROM, and a few other things.
I think it is still cheaper than buying a new system.   Hope you figure
it out. Any questions just ask.
Brian

                                  -----