From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 00:04:59 -0400
> In a conversation some of my partners said they have had this problem:
> Trying to instal a  PCI network card, they have troubles that dissapeared
> when they put the card in a different PCI slot. It ocurred with different
> motherboards marks and with different cards mark( Shuttle, Aopen, DTK for
> mobos and Planet, Aopen, 3com for NIC.

     Many MBs assign IRQs to PCI cards based on which slot they occupy. PCI
also allows for the sharing of IRQs. While the bus allows this, some cards
do NOT like sharing IRQs. I have heard that USB cards and SCSI cards can be
quite picking when one tries to force them to share IRQs. The easiest way to
resolve this sort of problem is reassign the IRQ to the slot in question,
however fewer and fewer boards allow one to do this. The second easiest
solution is moving the card to a different slot, and hopefully a different
IRQ. TTYL

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org