From:
Don Penlington <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Aug 2009 02:29:57 +1000
Tannis wrote:
>When I check, all I see is 3 programs running.>>

You would have a lot more than that running in the background. You are
looking in the wrong place. Check Task Manager under the Processes tab. a
typical computer would have at least 20 processes running--often a lot
more.  Less is better. Eliminate anything not essential. It won't let you
terminate any vital system files. Mine's currently showing about 30---which
is a few more than I like. Use Mike Lin's free "Startup Control Panel" to
control these at startup.

In the Applications tab, my Task Manager never shows more than one
application running---ie Firefox (in your case). Antivirus doesn't usually
show up there as it's a hidden and protected process.

Check also the Performance tab when you get those messages. If the pagefile
graph is showing excessive use, that's where your problem lies. (Pagefile
is virtual memory)

Firefox has tabbed browsing, but I think you have to hold down Shift or
Control to use new tabs without actually opening them as it goes---a
process I found most inconvenient compared with Maxthon. However, most
people seem very happy with it.

As to your virtual memory settings, the settings you have are inappropriate
for your system. Set it to System Managed.

AVG uses a lot of memory. You could try replacing it with Avira, although
AVG is not the actual cause of your problem unless your C-drive is
critically short of space (the pagefile needs at least 1 Gb of free space).

Don Penlington

 From the Beach at Surfers Paradise in sunny Queensland.
Computer tutorials, local scenery,  and other things at my website:
http://users.tpg.com.au/deepend/index1.html

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml