From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Sep 2000 20:17:27 -0600
At 07:53 AM 09/21/2000, you wrote:
>Hi all.
>
>Turned on the UPS for the PC last nite and heard a brief "sizzle" sound. PC
>power switch was off. Now cannot turn on the PC. ON/OFF button is inoperable. Is
>it power supply? Any other possibilities? How can one check power supply with a
>mutimeter?  Thanks.
>
>(sure glad i just cloned my HD to another computer?
>
>Bill

Based on your reported results, that it will not turn on...  it is
impossible to state that it is the power supply.  A fried CPU,
Ram module, video card and many other things could be at
the heart of your problem, if in fact something actually as you
say, "sizzled."

The thing to do would have been to open the case at the time
you heard this and checked for a hot component and/or something
that smelled or looked fried.  At this point, you need to do some
basic trouble shooting to find out what is keeping the system from
powering on.  If you try another power supply and find that is not
the solution, then you will need to start at ground zero trouble
shooting. You will find more on this topic on our web site:
     http://nospin.com/pc/ts001.html

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: