From:
m_sayer_ <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 2003 12:54:39 -0000
Hi Ian, I would try my best also to get that drive going again.
Have you tried 'DEPART.EXE' ? (it's free if you do a google search).
Just guessing here, but maybe the format has changed to something
unrecognisable? (well, it's unrecognisable by your system's' by the sound of
it anyway)
In the past, because I've had a problem using DELPART as a boot disk, I've
got round this by 'tricking' the computer, and using a win98 boot disk to
start the system, and getting as far as typing 'fdisk' , then swapping the
floppy disks over and hitting 'enter'.
So far, it's worked every time when there's been a partition that just won't
delete.(I've had lots of second hand drives with completely unknown
partitions).
If you can get that far, I'd try deleting the partition (s), and
reformatting if you can. (just the once, haha)
Because I've come across lots of second hand drives in the past for next to
nothing, I've tried all different ways to get them up and running again.
My motto is, you can't break something which is already broken, so it's
worth a try.
This may not help at all, but I've found that delpart often deletes
partitions which are unrecognisable.
Good luck, hope it helps.
Michele Sayer

I seem to have killed a 3\4 year old Western Digital 3gb hard drive and I'm
wondering if there's any way I can resurrect it.

It originally came out of an old FAT32 computer with a wrecked motherboard
and has been working fine ever since inside a 1.1 USB enclosure.

However, in a recent experiment, I reformatted it twice in succession, the
first time as FAT32 and the second time as NTFS.

After the second format it became 'invisible'.  Now it still spins up but
can't be seen at all, not in W98, DOS or in an XP NTFS system.

Spinrite won't recognise it in DOS and neither will any of the Western
Digital utilities.  Should I bury it in the garden or is there some
last-chance process I can try?

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>