From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Aug 2002 09:29:03 -0400
On Thursday 01 August 2002 07:51 am, bobwarasila wrote:
> > Bob:
> > If you're going to install Linux in the near future, why not leave some
> > unpartitioned space for it now? That way you don't need PM, and you don't
> > place your XP installation in jeopardy when you install Linux. Just pop
> > in the CD's and go. Most Linux distributions (Mandrake, RedHat, SUse,
> > etc)
>
> will
>
> > find the unused space, take care of whatever Linux partitions you choose,
>
> do
>
> > the installation, and install the bootloader (LILO or Grub).
> > Regards,
> > Carroll Grigsby
>
> Carroll,
>
> OK I discovered how to format in the extended partition in FAT32.  On the
> disk manager screen the default sets the cluster size so that ONLY NTFS is
> possible.  I changed the cluster size to 32k and that allowed the FAT32
> option under the assumption that choice of cluster size will leave less
> wasted space.  I also left 5 MB unallocated for the LINUX installation at a
> later date.
>
> Bob Warasila

Bob:
Sounds good to me. While NTFS has some advantages over FAT32 in a pure
Microsoft environment, there is a big drawback when dual booting with Linux.
NTFS is proprietary to Microsoft, and Linux support for it is limited; the
current situation is while that reading NFTS files can be done reliably,
writing to them is risky. By using FAT32, you'll be able to access your
Windows files from Linux. This is very useful for data files, of course, and
it also facilitates running Windows applications in Linux using Wine or other
technique.

Regards,
Carroll Grigsby