From:
Hal Trachtenberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 04:55:12 -0400
" A friend of mine is having trouble with a noisy processor fan in his tower
system and I thought that this spare processor might be swapped for his
Intel Celeron processor thus maybe solving his noise problem, but if
performance suffered we would swap back. Now, there must have been something
I didn't consider before rashly charging ahead because the Pentium processor
didn't even start. Instead, I noticed a slight electronic burning smell that
I didn't like at all! When the original Celeron processor was returned it
wouldn't start either. I would be grateful if someone could help me get my
mates computer going again and restore my good name. Thank you John Murray"

John

It is not as simple as just popping one cpu out and plugging in another one.
There are a couple of things to consider before doing this. Is the cpu
supported by the motherboard? This means clock speed, bus speed, voltage.
For example, the pentium cpu may have a speed of 100MHz (bus speed not clock
speed), the celeron is most probably only 66MHz or possibly 75MHz, and if
the board doesn't support 100MHz and also the Ram installed on the system is
less than 100MHz, you will have incompatibility problems everywhere. Now,
even if the board does support the pentium cpu, as some boards will support
celeron and pentium II & III cpus, there are still jumper settings to
consider. Were the jumpers on the board configured to auto detect the cpu?
It is always beneficial to have the systemboard user's manual handy when
doing things like this. Even I , who does this for a living, will check
manuals first because not all boards are alike, and their settings vary from
one to the other. To me, and you may not like to hear this, it sounds like
you burnt the motherboard. I think your next step would be to bring that
machine to a shop and have it checked, but chances are the motherboard has
to be replaced, and maybe even the Ram. It would have been a lot less
frustrating if your friend would have just had the fan changed on his cpu.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>