Date:
Wed, 1 Sep 2004 09:44:48 +0300
On 29 Aug 2004 at 2:09, martin mccabe <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

> hi, don't now if this will help as I can't remember the where or how but
> have read somewhere?? that smart should be disabled, think it had
something
> to do with certain mobo hard drive combinations but not entirely sure

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not sure if I understood you correctly -
are you speaking in general, or specifically, about the
reason for not being able to install the drivers.

SMART is enabled in the BIOS on this computer and I didn't
try to disable it before trying to reinstall the drivers.

In general, SMART might not work on all hard drives, and may
not work if the motherboard does not support it, or if it is
not enabled in the BIOS. In my case, it works fine if I use
it from external boot. The problem thus seems to be with the
SMBUS drivers for XP, I have some feeling that there is some
other resource that needs to be removed or reinstalled there
from the device manager, or peerhaps some registry editing,
so that I'll be able to reinstall, and not with the
hardware.

One more thing that I noticed, is that even though I don't
see any yellow mark regarding PCI to PCI bridge drivers, in
the device manager, I see that if I try to reinstall things,
some times it claims that it did not succeed in this either.

Uzi

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com