From:
Bob Stout <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 22:38:06 +1000
Hi all
I have a strange problem that only started after I crashed a HD yesterday.
I removed the disk as it was set as slave and rebooted, reset the bios to
master only and checked the existing HD for errors and checked again with
norton and all ran fine..
Now when I start the computer it goes through the post and checks the ram
and then stops and starts again with the post checking the ram etc and
starts Windows 98...
4 times out of 5 it will start OK but when it wont it shows the windows
start screen and locks or goes to a blue screen of death showing faulty
????.vxd file(this only happened once and I didn't write the file down
before I rebooted)
I checked the system files for faults using System Fault Checker to see if
any files in win98 were faulty the only thing reported was a shell32 that
had been over written and I left it there (didn't replace it with the
original from the CD)
Any ideas what could cause the 2 attemps each time to post start?

System.
AMD K2 350
Chaintech 5AGM2 Mobo
Award Bios 06/02/98 v4.51PG
192 meg PC100 ram
Quantum Fireball 4.2gig HD
Diamond Viper 330 4meg video
std sound card
NEC 2000 ethernet compliant netwotk card
32x CD Rom

TIA

Bob the plumber
http://users.gl.hardnet.com.au/blgas/