From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:20:23 -0500
I have an Idek Iiyama MF-5015A 15" monitor that's been in continuos
service since I got it in 1992, and the brightness has dimmed
considerably over the years. Long ago I reached the point where the
front panel Brightness control was maxed out, but a few weeks ago I
decided even that wasn't enough, so I opened it up and tweaked up the HV
pot as far as it would go. It was only about 1/16 to 1/8 turn from Max
already, so it wasn't a big increase, but the display is noticeably
brighter now, although still quite a bit dimmer than the other monitors
I have here.

My question is, are there any safety concerns related to increasing the
High Voltage like this? It's been 2 weeks and the monitor isn't
complaining in any obvious way, but I've had non-stop headaches since
then. Is this thing throwing X-rays at me now or anything? :)

FWIW, I have 16 years military experience in Electronic Warfare, but we
didn't get into CRT's that often.

TIA,

Jeff Delzer