From:
Bill & Andrea Lee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 30 Jun 1998 06:11:46 -0400
 Greetings;

    And thanks to everyone who replied. Although my problem still
exists, I have learned along the way and have possibly narrowed the
range of possibilities. However, I am still stumped.
    I have;

-Deleted the unnecessary protocols (Thanks for the suggestion about
using TCP/IP. However both systems have modems and outside phone lines,
although the 486 will seldom, if ever, be used for net access.)

-Downloaded the install programs for each card and ran their diagnostic
programs. Both showed the cards to be working fine. Device Manager also
shows no conflicts etc. (I did not run the manufacturers' setup
procedures. Best to let Win 95 manage the devices?)

-Double checked the cable using the following link. My cable, while not
using the same colour scheme, does follow the same
wiring.
http://www.apocalypse.org/pub/u/zonker/Networks/10baset.txt

- Followed the instructions in this link which was much the same as I
had originally done.
http://www.corp-reflection.com/pub/peer/index.htmp

- PCI Ethernet DECchip .... is bound to NetBEUI > PCI Ethernet DEC
Chip...

- NetBEUI is bound to Client for Microsoft Networks & File and Printer
Sharing for MS Networks

- NetBEUI is set to be default protocol

- File and Printer Sharing are both enabled

- All drives and several folders on each system set to share

- Identification of Workgroup is the same on both, System name different

- Share-level access control enabled (both systems ask for and accept
passwords at boot up, list name as user)

- Primary Network Logon is set to Client for MS Networks

- Client for MS Networks Log on to Window NT Domain is disabled

- Network log on options is set to Logon and Restore Network Connections

    All other settings are still at defaults. I've tried various
combinations of the above.

    Both systems can log onto the network and see whatever folders and
drives I have set to share on that system. However, they still can't see
each other. Both systems still work fine otherwise.
    Is it possible that these two cards are not compatible? From what
I've read, this does seem unlikely. Is there a diagnostic program on the
net somewhere that would suit this purpose? Any suggestions are very
welcome. Thanks again for your input to this point.

Bill

Wiring Diagram - Clip to bottom, Wire to right (Colours not used because
cable does not seem to conform to the standards I've seen. Numbers might
cause less confusion then.)

End 1         End 2

1                1
2                2