From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Jun 1999 20:22:09 -0600
At 06:38 AM 6/27/99 , Bob Stout wrote:
>Hi all
>I have a strange problem that only started after I crashed a HD yesterday.
>I removed the disk as it was set as slave and rebooted, reset the bios to
>master only and checked the existing HD for errors and checked again with
>norton and all ran fine..
>Now when I start the computer it goes through the post and checks the ram
>and then stops and starts again with the post checking the ram etc and
>starts Windows 98...
>4 times out of 5 it will start OK but when it wont it shows the windows
>start screen and locks or goes to a blue screen of death showing faulty
>????.vxd file(this only happened once and I didn't write the file down
>before I rebooted)
>I checked the system files for faults using System Fault Checker to see if
>any files in win98 were faulty the only thing reported was a shell32 that
>had been over written and I left it there (didn't replace it with the
>original from the CD)
>Any ideas what could cause the 2 attemps each time to post start?
>
>System.
>AMD K2 350
>Chaintech 5AGM2 Mobo
>Award Bios 06/02/98 v4.51PG
>192 meg PC100 ram
>Quantum Fireball 4.2gig HD
>Diamond Viper 330 4meg video
>std sound card
>NEC 2000 ethernet compliant netwotk card
>32x CD Rom

My first thought after reading this was your ram memory.  If you modified
any of the Ram settings recently, try resetting them to default or SPD.  Also
if you have enabled TURBO MODE in the CMOS, turn that off.

You may have a Ram module going bad.  If the above do not help, I would
have the ram checked to verify it is not bad.

The last thing you may need to do is check with Quantum about a firmware
upgrade for your hard drive.  You must call them and request it, then they
will email it to you, if it is available.   1-800-826-8022  6am-6pm pacific time

                Bob Wright
       The NOSPIN Group, Inc
http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org

                            The NOSPIN Group