From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Jun 2000 07:59:11 -0600
At 02:54 PM 06/04/2000 , Bob Decker wrote:
>Have been using my Robotics 33.6 Voice Fax Modem OK for a number of years
>now in a PPro 200 system.  Just in past month, when trying to connect to my
>ISP, after the computer has been running for awhile, using e-mail, and Web
>browser and other computer chores, it suddenly gives error message can't
>connect,  "modem or other connecting devices not (something like not
>available, or invalid or can't open the com port etc.)  If I shut down for a
>few minutes maybe 5 or 10 and restart everything works again for quite
>awhile,-then deja vu all over again.
>   Seems to point to temperature effect maybe, but have regualar fan and an
>auxiliary  installed over a year ago both running OK  and no previous
>problems.  (Put the Aux in to cool the Jaz drive to preclude the click of
>death and that seems to have worked).
>    Have been running with the case cover off for a couple years or more with
>no problems and have checked the surroundings but nothing new is obstructing
>ventilation anywhere.

Modems do wear out, remembering that ISA based modems process a great
deal of data through the modem.  That sounds like what you are experiencing...
though before I went to a new modem, I would try removing all of your Dialup
network, reboot the system and then re-install it.  Your network may have become
corrupted.

As far as the PC running with the cover off...  remember that your extra fans are
accomplishing next to nothing unless the PC environment is sealed so that air
is moved from one end through the system and out the other.  If the system is
open the fans have far less effect moving air and cannot properly cool the system.
Air does not move in a manner intended, it stagnates in some areas and components
will burn out.

      Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                     visit our download web page at: